[Sca-cooks] Re: Bologna

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jan 24 05:46:24 PST 2003

I can't do much with this question as my American
collection is boxed and unavailable.

There's this article that discusses Bologna
in Pennsylvania.
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/07/kummer.htm

I suspect that Weaver discusses this in his books.

John Mariani indicates that "Bologna is also
a meatpacker's term for for an inferior quality
animal whose meat is fit only for making sausages."

OED quotes go back as far as:
1596 Nashe Saffron Walden Wks. 1883-4 III. 162
As big as a Bolognian *sawcedge.

with the amusing tidbit being offered by that famous Scots
 dame of cookery Meg Dods

1842 Meg Dods Cook & Housew; Manual iii. i. 267 note,
 Real Bologna sausages labour under the imputation of
 being made of asses' flesh.

The really fun stuff is however at:
http://www.kraftfoods.com/oscar-mayer

 Oscar Museum anyone?