[Sca-cooks] ebay garb

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Jan 24 09:03:27 PST 2003

At 09:40 AM 1/24/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Also sprach Olwen the Odd:
>>Hey!  What's wrong with T-tunics?  I've been playing for oh, 14 years and I
>>still wear the one piece of fabric T-tunics!  Of course I'm ninth century
>>Welsh/Saxon so I suppose for some part, I'm overdressed.
>
>Nothing at all wrong with T-tunics, and anyone who feels that they
>can't look good, represent a great degree of costuming skill to do
>correctly, or are not period either lies or is an ignoramus. They and
>their ilk represent an important point in the evolution from draped
>to tailored clothing (not to mention some relation to the evolution
>of the loom in Europe).

Depends on what you call a t-tunic, dear master. It is my experience that
what many in the SCA call a t-tunic and the actual period model can be
like... the difference between a pair of bedroom slippers and a good pair
of loafers. The 'just-a-t-tunic' tends to be very simplified, two seams,
and neck and hem- easy for beginning sewers, but also easy to mess up
fit-wise, and not a construction model that I can support from documentary
evidence. The period model, with the gores and gussets, can be a *little*
more complicated until you grok the geometric construction model, is far
more cost-effective in utilization of fabric (and I am the Queen of Making
It From 'Not Enough' fabric) and wears really well.

I'd better get down from this soapbox before I get a nosebleed...

'Lainie