[Sca-cooks] OT, IP, T-Tunic oops

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Jan 25 19:16:44 PST 2003

At 09:24 PM 1/25/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I've been reading this with some curiosity. What are "angel dresses?"
>I've never heard the term! And I hang out with costumers... or is that
>why I've never heard it...
>
>Anne

There is a variant of one in the Known World Handbook, IIRC- not that it is
Holy Writ, of course, being basically a beginners guide...

If your fabric is folded quarterly, to make an angel dress requires-

   _________________
__)                 |
|                   |
|        \          |
|         \         |
|          \        |
|           \       |
|            \      |
|             \     |
|              \    |
|               \   |
|                \  |
|                 \ |
|                  \|
|___________________\

so there is a neck opening, to very long side seams, and hemming. Ta-da!
You have a badly-fitting dress that bunches in the armpits with sleeves
that curl funny and get in the way, and that scream "NEWBIE!" from across
the tourney field. Not to mention _NOT_ a period construction. And because
it isn't period construction, the sleeve shape doesn't work, the body is
proportionally too small, and you've still used a _lot_ of fabric.

Now look at:

   ______._____.____
__)      :     :    |
|        :_____:___/
|        :/
|        :
|        :\
|        : \
|        :  \
|        :   \
|        :    \
|________:_____\

as an example. You end up with a shape that more readily can be fitted, is
economical o fabric, and if a pieced extension on the sleeve or a longer
hem is wanted, those changes can fairly easily be affected. Also- look at
the piecings- (the : lines) you should be able to readily see the the
sleeve pieceing and the skirt piecing were cut and turned to fall into
place- if you put them back, you can reconstruct the whole cloth. There is
very little waste.

And the money you save san be spent of that really fine capon for dinner,
right? (OFC ;-)

'Lainie