[Sca-cooks] OT, IP, T-Tunic oops

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Jan 26 10:37:42 PST 2003

At 04:15 AM 1/26/03 -0800, you wrote:
>--
>
>I just picked up a couple of new books from Amazon on this topic.  One is
"What People Wore," a book full of drawings placing garments in their time
period and geographical area.  The other is "The Medieval Taylor's
Assistant," a book on how to make and fit several pieces of period garb,
including the T-tunics being discussed. After looking at these two books, I
have a much better idea of going beyond the one piece t-tunics I started with.
>Liadan Arundel

_MTA_ is good, but I have HUGE caveats on _What People Wore_. Yes, it's
drawing. RE-drawings, which means it's been through someone else's pen, and
things have a subtle shift because of it- mostly towards a bit of a
Victorian ideal if anything. Details are not the same. AND you can't use it
for documentation.

What you can do is use it as a springboard- see a picture you like? Figure
out where it came from. For instance, there's a page with several drawings
that are from the _Tres Riches Hueres_- so you take that drawing, and
compare it to the _TRH_. You'll see folds that aren't in the original, a
shift of a waistline or neckline, etc. Think of it as a quick glossary- not
comprehensive, authoritative source.

And yes, I have a copy. I use it maybe twice a year, to look something up,
say "Oh! I know where that is!" then put it back and go for the original.

'Lainie