[Sca-cooks] OT, IP, T-Tunic oops

Diana Skaggs liadan at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 27 04:46:32 PST 2003

Thanks for the info 'Lainie.  I picked up "What People Wore" as a general idea, not to use as documentation.  I am trying to move from "gotta get some kinda garb done to cover the bod" to "here's something my persona might really have worn." Later this year, I'll have time to do more research!
Liadan Arundel
 "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:At 04:15 AM 1/26/03 -0800, you wrote:
>--
>
>I just picked up a couple of new books from Amazon on this topic. One is
"What People Wore," a book full of drawings placing garments in their time
period and geographical area. The other is "The Medieval Taylor's
Assistant," a book on how to make and fit several pieces of period garb,
including the T-tunics being discussed. After looking at these two books, I
have a much better idea of going beyond the one piece t-tunics I started with.
>Liadan Arundel

_MTA_ is good, but I have HUGE caveats on _What People Wore_. Yes, it's
drawing. RE-drawings, which means it's been through someone else's pen, and
things have a subtle shift because of it- mostly towards a bit of a
Victorian ideal if anything. Details are not the same. AND you can't use it
for documentation.

What you can do is use it as a springboard- see a picture you like? Figure
out where it came from. For instance, there's a page with several drawings
that are from the _Tres Riches Hueres_- so you take that drawing, and
compare it to the _TRH_. You'll see folds that aren't in the original, a
shift of a waistline or neckline, etc. Think of it as a quick glossary- not
comprehensive, authoritative source.

And yes, I have a copy. I use it maybe twice a year, to look something up,
say "Oh! I know where that is!" then put it back and go for the original.

'Lainie