[Sca-cooks] Marchpane base....

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jan 26 15:16:51 PST 2003

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Hey, gang!
>I'm thinking about doing marchpanes in the near future.  IIRC, they're a
>wafer or cookie base with a thin bit of marzipan baked on top?
>What would be a good kind of cookie to use as a base? Ideally, I'd like
>something fairly innocuous.  And period, of course! <g>
>--maire, in drippy northern Artemisia

The ones I recall that specify a base (Welserin, I think?) mention
using wafers, possibly pretty similar to the commercial wafers you
can get in German import/food stores. These are kind of like the
stuff ice cream cones are made of, only flat (thinner and less rich
than, say, a modern pizzelle recipe). There may be other versions
that call for a tart coffin, or to be baked in a pie dish, anyway.

Still others are baked on squares of paper or parchment, which is
common in later period for several different kinds of biscuits.

I don't remember any that call for a substantial cookie base with a
small amount of marzipan, though.

Adamantius