[Sca-cooks] Some general info on Apicius for the newcomers

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 07:23:27 PST 2003

I quite agree that these two were not "just" women culinary historians, however, for brevity, I did not include their impressive credentials.  I apologize.
Mordonna
 johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:Anyone interested in reading about Apicius might want to
start with the bibliography that Thomas Gloning has compiled
at: http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/cookmat.htm

A recent scholar who has done the most work with Apicius is
Professor Mary Ella Milham. (yes, the woman who also is responsible for
the new editions of Platina). She is the author of several papers on the
subject and the text Apicii decem libri qvi dicvntvr "De re coqvinaria"
et excerpta a Vinidario conscripta Leipzig : Teubner,1969
XVI, 116 S. p.Latin. Series: Bibliotheca scriptorvm Graecorvm et
Romanorvm
Tevbneriana or Bibliotheca scriptorum Graecorum et Romanorum
Teubneriana.

It should be noted that Flower and Rosenbaum were not just
"women culinary historians." Flower was a classics scholar, having been
the
first woman to ever win Oxford's Craven sholarship in Classics.
Elisabeth Rosenbaum held two doctorates and ended up finishing
the translation after Barbara Flower's untimely death.

Johnnae llyn Lewis Johnna Holloway

Anne duBosc wrote:
> A little information on Apicius for newcomers.snipped
>
>In 1958, Flowers and Rosenbaum, two women culinary historians,
> studied several of these Medieval manuscripts and published an
> English Language translation called "The Roman Cookery Book."
I have found this translation much more dependable than the Vehling
work.

> Mordonna

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook