[Sca-cooks] Some general info on Apicius for the newcomers

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Jan 27 16:53:41 PST 2003

Mordonna wrote:

>A little information on Apicius for newcomers.

>In 1958, Flowers and Rosenbaum, two women culinary historians,
>studied several of these Medieval manuscripts and published an
>English Language translation called "The Roman Cookery Book."  I
>have found this translation much more dependable than the Vehling
>work.

It is also worth noting that Flowers and Rosenbaum include the Latin
along with their translation, so you (or your friendly neighborhood
Latin expert) can check it if you like--I did that on a couple of
recipes, which is how I know Vehling's translation is unreliable.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook