Alcohol in SC WAS Ohio liquor laws- was Re: [Sca-cooks] MY DAY IN CLASS

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Tue Jan 28 19:50:46 PST 2003

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 10:18 PM, CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:

> In defense of South Carolina, our liquor stores stay pretty much in
> the same
> places from election to election, and we have people from North
> Carolina
> driving down here to buy liquor... but don't tell anyone, they're
> looking for
> more sources of revenue now at the State House... <G>..
>
> Sometime when you're in poor backward SC, let me know and I'll take
> you to
> tour Green's <EG>. Wines and beers on one side, liqueurs and spirits
> on the
> other (everclear and corn liquor too), and mostly good stuff. STILL no
> Sunday
> sales though.
>
> See, there's Greenville, and Charleston, and yes, even Columbia... then
> there's the REST of SC....

It wasn't the liquor stores that got me - they're not that much
different from the mess here in Ohio.  What stunned me was that every
drink made in a bar (as opposed to private clubs) had to be made using
liquor from mini bottles, and that all of the empties had to be
inventoried every night.  This of course brings the cost of the stuff
waaay up, and makes it really easy to go out of business running a bar.

I did get a kick out of the one bar in Hilton Head that got around the
laws regarding serving alcohol on Sunday by putting out a free,
self-serve beer keg.  There was also one that got around the "No
half-priced drinks during happy-hour" law by putting stickers on
quarters and giving them to customers as "promotional items".

- Doc