Alcohol in SC WAS Ohio liquor laws- was Re: [Sca-cooks] MY DAY IN CLASS

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Jan 28 20:16:28 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/28/2003 10:56:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
doc at medievalcookery.com writes:

> It wasn't the liquor stores that got me - they're not that much
> different from the mess here in Ohio.  What stunned me was that every
> drink made in a bar (as opposed to private clubs) had to be made using
> liquor from mini bottles, and that all of the empties had to be
> inventoried every night.  This of course brings the cost of the stuff
> waaay up, and makes it really easy to go out of business running a bar.
>
> I did get a kick out of the one bar in Hilton Head that got around the
> laws regarding serving alcohol on Sunday by putting out a free,
> self-serve beer keg.  There was also one that got around the "No
> half-priced drinks during happy-hour" law by putting stickers on
> quarters and giving them to customers as "promotional items".
>
> - Doc

I don't know WHAT they're going to do down here if the airlines ever quit
using mini bottles, honestly... things were SO much simpler with liquor by
the drink...

Of course, trust a Baptist Politician to mess it up (or actually a gaggle of
them)... <G>.

To bring it back to a kind of period discussion, anybody got a favorite
liqueur type recipe sources?

See my biggest purchases of liqueur are white brandy and vodka, liqueur
making is another of my hobbies. Distilling it myself is not only
troublesome, but illegal in the US, so in SPITE of family history, I buy the
stuff... <G>

To be humble to superiors is duty,
   to equals courtesy,
   to inferiors nobleness.   __ Richard Saunders (Ben Franklin)