[Sca-cooks] Oklahoma Liquor Laws

SableSwanHerald at aol.com SableSwanHerald at aol.com
Wed Jan 29 21:59:02 PST 2003

Liadan and 'Lainiekins  ;-)  wrote about familial policies about liquor
consumption:

This was the one thing my parents were actually sensible on in terms of "teen
issues" (they never talked to me about drugs at all, but fortunately I was
not interested and steered a wide berth):  starting about age 10, I was
allowed a glass
(*small* glass - read small juice size) of wine or champagne with the rest of
the family on my birthday and/or Christmas.  Sometimes Thanksgiving - not
always, we didn't always have wine then.  I had a sip or two of parental beer
about then, but never liked the taste of it then.  For 4th of July, I was
allowed a tablespoonful of sangria in a glass of cranberry juice.

So there was no real mystery about trying liquor for the first time.  When I
hit high school, my mom basically sat me down (i think we were driving
somewhere in Phoenix at the time, actually) and said, "If you need to drink,
you can do it at home, when we're there - I may even join you if it's
something I like.  I just don't even want you getting into a car with someone
who's been drinking - that's my fear."  And that made sense to me, because I
had no delusions of immortality - I understood death at a very early age,
having lost a close friend to drowning and several aunts and uncles by then
due to being a late in life child of late in life children.  I understood you
didn't get a do-over.

Later, in my junior and senior years, my stepdad was in a bad accident and
had all kinds of nasty recovery problems once he came home that involved his
own alcoholism - so aside from putting me off of drinking to stupidness, my
mom understood when I went to parties at friends' houses on weekends a fair
bit.  The rules;  she had to know the kids (I ran with a good group, and she
liked all of them except one - I was never allowed to go to anything at his
house, and I abided by that); I had to leave a number; if people got too
drunk to drive, I could call her any time no questions asked and either get
her to pick me up or pay for a cab when I hit home; if I stayed over, I had
to call and state who was going to be there and who the responsible adult
was; and if it was a Saturday night, i had to be ready when she picked me up
for church the next morning.  I negotiated that we could do late service on
those occasions.

All in all, the first time I got to the point of "intoxicated" wasn't
actually until after college.  Before that i just got 'giggly'.  In fact, i
often ended up being the one holding heads and tidying up afte rthose who
didn't know their limits.

So I'm grateful for that - mystifying alcohol only leads to the temptation to
overindulge.

Berengaria