[Sca-cooks] Back to safety

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Jan 30 11:06:16 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Since there was that long discussion on Safety in the Kitchen, I have a
related question.

> How can you tell if you need to get stitches on a cut?

That's kinda one of those things that takes a bit of experience, and depends
on where the cut is located. Generally, if it's less than a cm long, it
doesn't need stitches, but it does require serious medical attention if it's
a stabbing or deep wound. Facial cuts are usually stitched if they're more
than about 1/2 cm long, because of their serious effects on the appearance.
Generally, if you can see any of the underlying structures (when Ras sliced
my arm open when we were butchering rabbits, I could see the subcutaneous
fat, so went and got 6 stitches), if it tends to gape, it won't stop
bleeding even with pressure and elevation, or if there's any loss of
function beyond, "It HURTS, damn it!!!" it needs medical attention. This is
particularly true if it might have been exposed to particularly nasty
bacteria, say when slicing raw meat or chicken.

Basic rule is that if YOU have any doubt, seek medical assistance- let a
medical professional be the final judge.

Phlip

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,