[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Jan 30 22:59:14 PST 2003

At 01:43 AM 1/31/03 -0500, you wrote:
>ao no one fried potatoes before that? Like maybe in Europe?
>
>Elric
>> At 12:54 AM 1/31/03 -0500, you wrote:
>> >Are french fried potatoes period?
>> >
>> >Elric
>>
>> Yes. They are late 19th c. New York was it, Master A?

Elric, potatoes are New World. It is highly unlikely that *fried* potatoes
were served in Europe, with the possible exception of as a novelty dish by
adventurous diners, right at the end of period. I think there's a couple of
very late recipes for roasted/mashed potatoes.

You did specify 'french fried' and that term is a late 19th c. one.

'Lainie