[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jan 31 03:47:39 PST 2003

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>At 12:54 AM 1/31/03 -0500, you wrote:
>>Are french fried potatoes period?
>>
>>Elric
>
>Yes. They are late 19th c. New York was it, Master A?

I think you may be thinking of the apocryphal tale of the Saratoga
Potato Chip ("How about _NOW_??? Are they crisp enough???")

You have to figure that, if most of the stories (like the one about
Parmentier planting the heavily guarded potato garden so the tubers
would be stolen at night)  are true, the white potato didn't really
take off until the early 19th century. I would expect some kind of
fried potato to become street food, like the ubiquitous hot corn in
19th-century American cities, soon thereafter. I'll get back to this
after the New Year's thing is up...

Adamantius