[Sca-cooks] OT and off-beat in Oregon

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu Jan 30 23:31:10 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/31/2003 1:03:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, lcm at efn.org
writes:

> http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/30/offbeat.traficant.cleansing.ap/ind
> ex.html

Interesting article... please excuse the bandwidth waste in critique... It's
2:30 in the AM and I can't sleep...

Democratic Rep. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon, who moved into Traficant's old
office last month, held a "cleansing ritual" Wednesday in an effort to erase
any legacy left behind by the Ohio Democrat, who was notorious for his
flamboyant speeches, 1970s-style suits and unkempt hair. No one knew until he
went to prison that it was really a toupee.

They're kidding right? NOBODY KNEW it was a rug? I can see if they didn't
mention it, but I can't imagine nobody knew....

 In Traficant-inspired clothes -- a blue-denim leisure suit and a black Elvis
wig -- Blumenauer joined Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Oregon, in burning dried herbs
to "exorcise" Traficant's spirit. "We're here to reclaim this sacred piece of
ground in the name of the state of Oregon," DeFazio said. "These grounds were
defiled." DeFazio lit a smudge stick, a collection of dried herbs that is a
tradition for many American Indian tribes. Smoke from the stick is said to
attach itself to any negative energy present. The burning herbs, primarily
dried sage, had an odd smell that prompted some to joke it was marijuana, and
as DeFazio waved the stick, he lightheartedly told the crowd of several dozen
aides, staffers and others who had gathered, "Everybody inhale. We may all be
arrested."

I've had people say this too when I was smudging. Frankly, I've smelled pot
burning (and that's all I'll admit to at the moment <G>) and I can tell the
difference easily ::shrugs::

<snippage>

Not everyone was amused. Rep. Steven LaTourette, R-Ohio, one of Traficant's
closest friends in Congress, called the ceremony offensive. "Mr. Traficant
was convicted, he's serving eight years, and I don't really think that's a
joke," LaTourette said.

He's right, it isn't a joke, it's an object lesson the rest of the "Old
Timers" better observe.... Maybe that's why he was disturbed?

Corwyn

To be humble to superiors is duty,
   to equals courtesy,
   to inferiors nobleness.   __ Richard Saunders (Ben Franklin)