[Sca-cooks] Re: Cold and snow was Okay, it's that time of year again...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jan 31 07:18:44 PST 2003

For those tired of the snow and cold--

I came across this broadside yesterday.
It's dated 1571.

A prayer to be sayd in the end of the mornyng
 prayer daily (through the dioeces of Norwich) during
 the tyme of this hard and sharp wether of frost and snow
 to craue mercye for our synnes and release of this sore
 punishment at the mercifull handes of our good and gracious God

It's a long prayer of 3 columns on a broadside page and speaks about

"Behold our lamentable estate,
The deepe snow hath overwhelmed the earth
the nipping frost hath consumed the fruits thereof...
the cattell do groue & make piteouse complaynt"

catalogued under
Winter -- England -- Norwich -- Religious aspects.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis