[Sca-cooks] deep frying

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 12:01:26 PST 2003

Eleanor Fettiplace's Receipt Book lists "To butter potato roots" and has two
receipts for candying potatoes.  Hilary Spurling says that by Lady F's time,
sweet potatoes were a regular autumn import from Spain; the white potato did
not reach European markets until the 1640s.  Looking through La Varenne from
1653, I don't see any potato receipts listed in the index, but without
looking through all the dishes I can't categorically deny that he doesn't
use potatoes.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.   Emerson