[Sca-cooks] Recipe for the meatloaf salamander

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Tue Jul 1 18:23:58 PDT 2003

A couple of people asked about the recipe for the salamander.

I used Le Viandier de Taillevent recipe number 195.

"Take raw meat chopped as fine as possible, Digne raisins and crumbled harvest cheese, all mixed together with Fine poweder.  Have some mutton rennet stomachs, scald and wash them very well (not in water so hot that they shrivel), fill them with the chopped meat and stitch them with a small wooden skewer."

---
I have made hedgehogs as meatballs with this recipe (minus mutton rennet stomachs) and the "digne raisins" all swelled up and popped out giving a great hedgehog appearance, which was very cool.

I think I used a feta as the cheese (trying to remember, darn I really should write these things down at the time) or possibly a ricotta.

For "fine powder" I used recipe 222 for Spice powder:

"Grind ginger (4 parts), Cassia (3 1/2 parts) nutmeg (2 parts) pepper (1 1/2 parts), long pepper, cloves, grains of paradise and galingale (1 part each)  (A recipe quoted by Pichon et al p26)"

My difference was that I didn't have any grains of paradise or long pepper.

Kiriel