[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Help with documenting pickles

UrthMomma at aol.com UrthMomma at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 08:09:25 PDT 2003

I am probably having an attack of the stupids, but I am having trouble
finding early documentation of pickled foods, vegetable or dairy,  I'm looking for
brined or vinegar based pickles, not sugar preserves.

For mid  and late period documentation, The English Housewife gives
directions for making pickled sallats, cucumbers, purslane and samphire. The English
Housewife has sausage recipes, Sabina Welserin gives pickled tongue recipes and
good sausage recipes, preserving veal with salt and vinegar, smoked beef,
smoked tongue. Le Menagier de Paris speaks of salting beef, mutton , coot, hams,
bacon, beef tongue, goose, hare, eel, herring, and sausages,  but I am not
finding documentation of fermented pickles such as sauerkraut or cucumbers nor
brined cheeses.

What obvious place am I not looking ?

Olwen Bucklond