[Sca-cooks] How to question....

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 17 17:16:45 PDT 2003

Oh, I saw this same method done.  Afterwards you mince it and reassemble
it on the skull of the boar (using the meat from more than one head if necessary)
and endore it, if I recall correctly.  I think it's from the Sabina welserin cookbook,
one of her "lordly dishes". Unfortunately, I can't check it from this computer,
and my husband is busy on the other one

Amusing anecdote follows:
Back in the old days when we had very inexperienced cooks, someone decided
it would be really cool to present a boar's head at a feast.  They were able to
procure one, with the condition from the butcher that it be used for display only,
since it wasn't food grade.  It ended uop being dropped off at the house of the
only cook that owned a house with a large kitchen (carpeted!), unfortunately,
she was really inexperienced in the kitchen department, not to mention really
squeamish.

A couple of hours later, one of the other cooks got a panicked call from her
asking her to come right over.  She couldn't bring herself to touch the pig's head
that was sitting on her table and dripping all over her carpeted floor!  The one
she called wasn't much help either.  Eventually, it made it to the feast hall.

They decided to bake it to give it a little color.  It wasn't browning to their
satisfaction, so they brushed it with a thin layer of iodine (hey, no one was
going to eat it anyway) and put it back in the oven to see if the color would
become a little less bright.  Shortly afterwards, the then Baron (a notoriously
picky eater) poked his head in the kitchen and said "wow, that smells good -
I might actually eat something at this feast" at the exact moment they opened
the oven to check on the pig, at the exact momen the eyeballs exploded.
Timing is everything!

Faerisa