[Sca-cooks] Duh

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 28 23:23:25 PDT 2003

Ok, if I'd just scrolled down the page, I would have seen them.  My bad.
Here is the recipe for anyone who's curiosity I've peaked:

Counterfeit (Vegetarian) Isfî riyâ of Garbanzos

Andalusian p. A-1

Pound some garbanzos, take out the skins and grind them into flour. And take
some of the flour and put into a bowl with a bit of sourdough and some egg,
and beat with spices until it's all mixed. Fry it as before in thin cakes,
and make a sauce for them.

chickpea flour: 1 c
sourdough: 1/2 c
eggs: 4
spices:
2 t pepper
2 t coriander
16 threads saffron
2 t cumin
4t cinnamon
1/4 c Cilantro, chopped

Garlic Sauce:
3 cloves garlic
2 T oil
2T vinegar

Chickpea flour can be made in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder (a food
processor would probably work too). Pound or process until the dried
chickpeas are broken, then remove the loose skins and reduce what is left to
a powder. An easier approach is to buy the flour in a health food store; a
middle eastern grocery store might also have it. Use untoasted chickpea
flour if you can get it.

Crush the garlic in a garlic press, conbine with vinegar and oil, beat
together.

Combine the flour, sourdough, eggs, spices and beat with a fork to a unform
batter. Fry in about 1/4 c oil in a 9" frying pan at medium high temperature
until brown on both sides, turning once. Add more oil as necessary. Drain on
a paper towel.

note: The ingredients for the sauce are from "A Type of Ahrash [Isfî
riyâ ]". What is done with them is pure conjecture.