[Sca-cooks] Fw: [Aten_Cooks](long) Feast Policy Draft for Review

Jim Fox-Davis firedrake at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 07:51:38 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 1, 2003, at 06:03 AM, Patricia Collum wrote:

> I guess until you have paid reservations in, a guess at the number
> attending is still a guess based on the attendence at the past kingdom
> event (coronation, etc.) even sixmonths to a year out. Five years ago
> the number of feast reservations at our kingdom/ large baronial events
> was often 200-250. This last year the feasts that I have seen
> reservations available for were 100-150. I think too many people have
> quit eating feasts coupled with too many people getting stuck with
> large amounts of overbought unsold food. We also have a new senechal,
> a fairly new kingdom exchequer and current royalty who have taken
> fiscal responsibility for our kingdom to heart.

I recall last Caid 12th Night, my Baronial Exchequer complaining at me
weekly that we weren't going to get enough reservations and I was going
to have to scale back the feast.  Having had previous experience with
Caid that we are all procrastinators, I kept reassuring her that it'd
work out.  Mind you, I had a plan in place were we going to have to cut
back.  As we predicted, though, literally 80% of the reservations came
in in the last week before deadline (which was about 4 weeks before the
feast, IIRC).  We then -still- had folks sending in reservations and
money after deadline hoping to get it (Heck, one fellow, thinking he
was important, tried to, um, influence my reservations person the week
before; she was sublimely unimpressed).  As it was, we sat 254 for
dinner, and had a waiting list of over 50.

Now, mind you, one of the things we had done to stir up interest was
publish partial menus and do publicity going back 4 months before the
feast.  Talking it up to get interest helps.  I sent updates to the
Kingdom mailing list, put a menu in the kingdom newsletter the month
before, and made sure folks knew I was willing to accommodate allergies
and sensitivities.  (I set off a couple, anyway -- one fellow didn't
-know- he was sensitive to ginger).

As for servers -- I don't believe in paying to work.  I comped my
servers, and would have done so out of my own pocket if necessary.  I
think the financial cap that has been listed is unreasonable, but then
I don't know what prices are like in your area.  Here in L.A., I spent
$9+ a head for the 7-course French extravaganza I did for 12th Night.

Jared