[Sca-cooks]2 - medieval herb garden

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Jul 1 14:14:41 PDT 2003

Jadwiga sayeth:

> > What is a Rosa Alba?
>
> Rosa Alba is the original white (Damask) rose

What she said. Raintree Nursery is where I got mine
(www.raintreenursery.com). It's finally flowering this year. I'm very
excited.

> > What is weld? Do you mean wode?
>
> Weld is a plant that makes a yellow dye.
> I believe it is banned as an invasive plant in some states...

WOAD is banned as invasive in some states, like Montana (and all the dyers
I know want to know *where* in Montana, so we can go harvest it). I wasn't
aware that weld was. It's the major yellow dye in much of SCA period, and
unlike most of the other dyestuffs it's darned hard to find *anywhere*. So
I'm trying to grow my own, with limited success.

Margaret