[Sca-cooks]2 - medieval herb garden

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Jul 5 07:36:07 PDT 2003

Anywhere in Montana! <g> (well, that's why it's an _invasive_ weed!)
Weld is okay, I think, but not very common (at least local).
You can actually get in a decent amount of trouble if you're caught
growing dyer's woad in your garden here.  Japanese indigo (which a
couple of friends are trying) is actually legal, tho.
IIRC, Margaret, woad grows all over Mount Sentinel (it's the big
mountain/hill east of town with the big "M" on it for the university).
"Town" in this case is Missoula, MT.
We have lots of tansy (it grows wild in my backyard), too--I kinda like
the smell, but don't think I'd want to eat it.  It does, however, make
great yellow and green dyes depending on whether you use flowers or
stems-and-leaves.  And yes, it's tancetum vulgare (my apologies for any
latin misspellings--the neighbors were up LATE last night with
fireworks).
--maire, who got a great deep-yellow dye on some fibers last week with
turmeric (OFC? <g>)