[Sca-cooks] Re: le menagier

Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com
Thu Jul 3 07:08:37 PDT 2003

> > I am considering using some recipes from menangier for a feast this
fall...
> > one of the things mentioned in the menus section (for a september
wedding,
> > IIRC) is a opening "platter" dish, a pie of grapes and peaches... but I
> > cant find a recipe in the rest of the text.... anyone know what this
could
> > have been?
>
> Could well be that the recipe isn't there.
>
> What edition are you using? I can maybe check
> another version for you.

I am using the on-line version (translated by janet Hinson) available from
the Cariadoc's (bless his name and glory be his forever)  on-line
Miscellany.
http://daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html

the quote I am interested in is:
"The arrangements for the Hautecourt[48] wedding, for twenty bowls, in the
month of September:
Platter: Grapes and peaches in little pies."

I would like to know how such pies would be constructed...
I assume a pastry coffin, with halved grapes and sliced peaches, what else?
are there any similar pies in contemporary manuscripts I could use as a
model
Perhaps with plums or similar soft fruit

Brandu