[Sca-cooks] Re: le menagier

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 05:44:25 PDT 2003

-------Original Message-------
From: Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com

I am using the on-line version (translated by janet Hinson) available from the Cariadoc's (bless his name and glory be his forever) on-line Miscellany.
http://daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html

the quote I am interested in is:
"The arrangements for the Hautecourt[48] wedding, for twenty bowls, in the month of September:
Platter: Grapes and peaches in little pies."
--------------

I wonder if there could be a mistake here.  The transcription of the French at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/menagier3.html
reads as follows:
"Assiette : roisins et pesches ou petis pastés."

My college French is very rusty, but I would read this as:
"Platter: grapes and peaches OR little pastries."

This is transcribed from the 1846 edition of Le Menagier, edited by Jerome Pichon, which is the edition that Hinson used for her translation.  The complete text of the Pichon edition is available online as page images at the Biblioteque National de France.  The page image contains the same text, so it's not a transcription error, unless the error was made by Pichon.

You can consult the page image at:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/scripts/ConsultationTout.exe?E=0&O=N083111
The page number is 118.

Does anyone have the hardcopy of the Hinson translation?  Can you confirm that she says "in little pies"?

Brighid ni Chiarain