[Sca-cooks] Re: Pennsic - meals, etc - sorta OT

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Fri Jul 4 05:07:17 PDT 2003

> Not me, man...Never been, dunno if I ever will.  Too d at mned far and too
> d at mned expensive, both in terms of money and time off.  If I flew (to
> reduce the travel time), it'd be several hundred dollars (500? maybe 6?
> possibly more), and if I drove, I'd eat up several days each way.
> There's a LOT of continent between me and most of thee!
> Maybe if I ever win the lottery.....

I'm not going this year either. As most of you know, I had a miserable
experience last year, and left after less than 48 hours. This year, I've
just been made Department Chairman... which, unfortunately, means I have to
be a mensch and forgo Pennsic so that one of my colleagues can take the week
off to study for her Internal Medicine board certification exam (I was not
elected Chairman unanimously, and if I now get on my high horse and insist
on taking the week off - I did ask first - I'll only be making an
uncomfortable situation worse). I figure there'll always be another
Pennsic - but if Linda fails her exam, she's out $800 and another year of
studying. Having failed the exam my first time out, I wouldn't want to put
anyone else through that, if it's in my power to avoid it. So, I'm the nice
guy and I'm staying home. I s'pose I'll just have to organize the Northern
Atlantian Pennsic Pity Party.

Avraham