[Sca-cooks] Re: Pennsic - meals, etc - sorta OT

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Jul 5 05:57:03 PDT 2003

Was asked:

> > And I AM bringing a wish list of books to look for at Devra's.  Tell me,
do
> > venders take checks or should we just do cash/credit cards?

When I merchanted Pennsic many years back we only took personal checks from
people we knew i.e. typically people from our home kingdom that we knew
personally.

> I think some do take checks - but I seriously recommend that you purchase
> traveller's cheques before leaving Caid.

This is a much better idea not just for Pennsic but for Estrella, Gulf Wars
and any very large event.

    There have been some significant
> instances of people having their tents rifled at Pennsic; I know of one
case where
> $700 was taken (the lady was in my camp).

Over the years I've seen this happen even at small events.  To prevent such
at major events I've seen organized camps maintain rotating rosters where in
the camp is never vacant.  This tends to limit losses through random
pilferage.

Daniel