[Sca-cooks] NON-STICK COOKWARE

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 7 10:39:42 PDT 2003

Heleen Greenwald wrote:
> Hi Folks.
> I have recently been converted to the wonderfulness of non-stick
> cookware and am now on the look out for a non-stick set.  Does
> anybody have any opinions or favorite non-stick cookware lines they
> favor?
>
> Also, how about Cafalon (sp) that particular line of cookware.....
> What is the difference in it's commercial grade or anodized or
> whatever they call it?

I'll disagree with some of the others and vote in favor of good quality
stick-resistant cookware for the home chef.  The good stuff like Calphalon's
hard anodized lines are quite sturdy and don't have to be treated with kid
gloves like a lot of the cheaper non-stick or stick resistant stuff.  The
one pan that's always on my cooktop and ready to go is my Calphalon
commercial chef's pan.  I've used it nearly every day for at least 4 years
now, and it's stood up to all the abuse I've thrown at it and is none the
worse for wear.  You do have to avoid metal utensils and metal scouring
pads, but otherwise it doesn't require any special care.

Do be aware that Calphalon does make quite a few different lines of cookware
now, and many of their consumer grade items are just good quality (and IMO,
overpriced) stainless steel.  Look for their anodized aluminum sets (I think
the current lines are Commercial and Contemporary).

-Lorenz