[Sca-cooks] Re: Medieval Gardens

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 9 21:58:07 PDT 2003

Lady Lowry ferch Gwynwynwyn a Llewelyn commented:
> ... and I read in a dectionary that the word lawn comes from the same
> root as laundry because they laid the clothes out flat on the grss to
> dry...
Actually, I believe it is actually a bit more complex than this. Not
only were they laying the laundry on the grass to dry it after washing
it, but laying linen clothes on the grass like this had a bleaching
effect.
I believe there is more on this in:
linen-msg         (62K)  2/16/99    Period and modern linen cloth.
Sources. Care
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/linen-msg.html

> (after looking at Jadwiga's lovely site)
My apologies if this is detailed there. I've not had time to visit
Jadwiga's site yet. :-(
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas