[Sca-cooks] feedback on page activity -- Mustard

Yana yana at merr.com
Thu Jul 10 12:37:06 PDT 2003

Notes from a former craft teacher (of elementary school kids):

If using bread, have it cut up beforehand, so that you don't run out.

Providing pretzels or crackers might be more palatable for younger people
trying out the mustard.  Less chance of spreading it on too thickly on
bread and then choking on it (whether on purpose or not).

Use bamboo skewers or popsicle sticks (even better, no tempting sharp
pointy end) instead of toothpicks (sturdier)

Give a suggestion for what type (size, estimated cost) of covered container
to have for the kids to take home.  I regularly see cheap plastic
containers that hold about 1/4 cup for about $1 for two.  Any ideas for
cheaper substitutes?

Might be easier to just have one or two mortar/pestle sets and pass them
around, letting the kids each have a go at grinding.  Same goes with coffee
grinder.  Either way, having some previously-ground mustard would help
chase off Murphy's Curse

Add to the list of supplies:
--mortars and pestles
--cups for the water
--trashbag (obvious, but...)
--spoons to dole out mustard to kids

What is best way to grind up raisins?

Hope this is all taken well, I'm just used to preparing for the worst (and
best!) when working with kids (and adults, for that matter).

--Yana