[Sca-cooks] Re Request for info on period poisons

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 10 21:22:40 PDT 2003

Devra Langsam (of Poison Pen Press) asked:
> I got this request from a person who's not on the list, and am hoping
> that
> some of the fearsomely well-informed people here can help him:
>
> Devra, I've been writing a weekly column for 28 years in Santa Cruz
> ,California. Recently during a Shakespeare oriented luncheon for our
> Shakespeare Santa
> Cruz annual season the topic of poison came up. We're wondering if you
> know
> what kind/kinds of poison were used during Shakespeare's time, and
> before? They
> must have been potent, being able to contain enough power to hide in
> rings and
> brooches. Any ideas where to search or any references to the names of
> these
> drugs? Thanks for you time, Bruce Bratton <A
> HREF="http://www.brattononline.com/">www.brattononline.com</A>
Is "Poison Pen Press" the reason they asked you? :-)

There are these two files in the UNCATALOGUED section of the
Florilegium. While not specific to the late 16th/early 17th century,
perhaps they would still be of interest.
poisons-art       (42K)  8/30/94    Medieval poisons and antidotes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/poisons-art.html
poisons-msg       (24K) 11/30/01    Medieval poisons.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/poisons-msg.html

Devra, since your message didn't contain an address for Bruce, at least
in the digest, could you please forward this message to him?
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com