[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Help with documenting pickles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 12 19:38:52 PDT 2003

'Lainie replied to Olwen Buckland with:
> but I am not
> finding documentation of fermented pickles such as sauerkraut or
> cucumbers
> nor brined cheeses.
>
> What obvious place am I not looking ?
>
> Olwen Bucklond
>
> Gee, where's Nanna when you need her?
Oh! I had forgotten about the Icelandic items. Most of the recipes for
these that Nanna has posted here can be found in this file in the
FOOD-BY-REGION section of the Florilegium.
fd-Iceland-msg    (84K)  1/15/03    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.

I'm not sure that most of these fermented foods fit into most people's
definition of pickled foods, even those who realize that pickles do not
necessarily mean just pickled cucumbers. If I move some of the recipes
from the Icelandic file to another, what would be a good name? Should I
even try to seperate out these fermented, pickled foods from simply the
pickled ones?

> Check out the Florilegium- cruise the various 'food' sections.

>  I also
> seem to remember Von Guter Speise, etc (German stuff) have pickled
> stuff.
I think the sauerkraut stuff is still in this file:
fd-Germany-msg   (106K)  6/ 1/01    Medieval and Period German food.
Cookbooks.
> Check out the Florilegium fer shure- at the very least you'll get some
> leads.
I don't know how many of these are fermented vs. just pickled, but you
might also look at these files in the FOOD section:
compost-msg       (35K)  3/27/01    A pickled food of fruits and
vegetables.
Lrds-Salt-Exp-art (15K)  9/11/00    "Lord's Salt Experiment" by Lady
Hauviette
                                        d'Anjou.
pickled-food-msg (116K)  5/ 7/02    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

In the FOOD-MEATS section:
pickled-meats-msg (58K) 10/11/01    Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt.
recipes.

Thank you for the pointers to the Florilegium, Lainie.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com