[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Help with documenting pickles

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Sun Jul 13 07:18:52 PDT 2003

On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 11:09 AM, UrthMomma at aol.com wrote:

> I am probably having an attack of the stupids, but I am having trouble
> finding early documentation of pickled foods, vegetable or dairy,  I'm
> looking for
> brined or vinegar based pickles, not sugar preserves.
>
> For mid  and late period documentation, The English Housewife gives
> directions for making pickled sallats, cucumbers, purslane and
> samphire. The English
> Housewife has sausage recipes, Sabina Welserin gives pickled tongue
> recipes and
> good sausage recipes, preserving veal with salt and vinegar, smoked
> beef,
> smoked tongue. Le Menagier de Paris speaks of salting beef, mutton ,
> coot, hams,
> bacon, beef tongue, goose, hare, eel, herring, and sausages,  but I am
> not
> finding documentation of fermented pickles such as sauerkraut or
> cucumbers nor
> brined cheeses.
>
> What obvious place am I not looking ?

Well, the recipe for "Compost" [Curye on Inglish, Constance B. Hieatt &
Sharon Butler (eds.)] is sort of a pickled vegetable recipe.  There are
a bunch of related recipes from the 13th and 14th centuries.  The
version I've done is a bunch of parboiled root vegetables, salted and
mixed with wine, vinegar, and honey.

My version, along with the source, is online at -
http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/compost.html

- Doc