[Sca-cooks] Growing Herbs

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jul 14 06:08:07 PDT 2003

> I am interested in growing pots of herbs to use in cooking.  Unfortunately,
> I have a somewhat brown thumb, and the area off my kitchen where I would
> like my herbs is quite shady.  I live in Southeastern Virginia (zone 7).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of herbs are happy in the
> shade?  Any general growing tips that might help turn my brown thumb a
> little greener would be appreciated also.

Hm.. I've grown most herbs in the shade in South-Central PA; I suspect
that if the ground is not soggy, you can probably do the same in Virginia.
I grew mint, lemon balm, anise, sweet woodruff, violets, sage, parsley,
etc.
However, thyme, lavender, etc. grown in the shade don't seem to
overwinter.

I believe Stefan has an article of mine in the florilegium about growing
herbs... Stefan?

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If one by one we counted people out
For the least sin, it wouldn't take us long
To get so that we had no one left to live with.
For to be social is to be forgiving. " -- Robert Frost, "The Star-Splitter"