[Sca-cooks] Growing Herbs

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Jul 14 22:12:58 PDT 2003

Not knowing what weather is "local" for you, I'd recommend you talk to
experts and gardeners from your area--maybe at a farmers' market, like
we have here? That's what I did....
I'm growing herbs in pots out on my little front porch--the area gets
strong sun in midday, but is somewhat shady/partially shady most of the
rest of the day.  I've got mints, and basil, and oregano, and a host of
others.  Since I live in a pretty dry area of the country, and we have a
really limited growing season, I made sure that my plants were bred for
local conditions.  Some stuff (especially stuff that can't take our
winters), I may never be able to do, but that's the breaks, I guess!
I've also got somewhat of a brown thumb--plants, unlike cats, don't
complain out loud if you forget to water them.  So, remembering has made
a big difference for me this year.  Now if I could just quit being so
tender-hearted, and do some harvesting before I get an herbal
jungle....Hmmmm, I'm out of sekanjabin.....
--maire