[Sca-cooks] Romanian Cookbook

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 12:26:33 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/14/2003 1:19:29 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:

> Have you looked at the recipes of Marxen Rumpolt?
> While he was a German, he grew up in Hungary and
> has some recipes that he labels as being "in the
> Hungarian style".  I would consider these the
> closest you can get at the moment.  Romania was
> not the same country as Hungary any more that
> Poland was.  I wouldn't use Romanian recipes for
> Hungarian. Just because they are Eastern
> European, doesn't mean they had the same roots.
>
> Huette

I have looked at Marx Rumpolt, but without more knowledge of what Hungarian
cooking was like at the time I can't say how close any of his recipes are to
Hungarian ones.  The recipes saying it is "in the Hungarian style" could merely
indicates it is what someone thinks the Hungarian style of cooking was, not
what it really was.  Also,  there was a significant German popularion in parts
of Hungary During Rumpolt's time and those recipes may only reflect the cooking
of that group.

The Romanian recipes are the cloest I can get at this point geographically,
and there is a possibility of some crossover, especially in Transylvania where
bother groups lived close together and there is already evidence for a
crossover in culture.  Also, when there is precious little by way of recipes from
either country I'm happy to get anything from that region.

Noemi