[Sca-cooks] Walms?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Mon Jul 14 23:21:21 PDT 2003

At 01:22 -0400 2003-07-15, Christine Seelye-King wrote:
> Hm, well, Cindy's glossary agrees with that, but I'm not getting what
> measurement we're looking at here.  The amount of time it would take to come
> to a boil?
> Christianna

There is a similar phrase in French, to boil for some number of
(large) bubbles, which in the French context (Casteau, 1604) I
interpret to mean a relatively short time.  Specifically the time
for the water in the pot at a full boil to make one of its big
surging bubbles that number of times.  If there is one big surge
every three seconds, then six or seven of them would take perhaps
twenty seconds.  YMMV.

Thorvald