[Sca-cooks] Medieval English lasagne?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jul 15 19:16:59 PDT 2003

> I agree, it's not much of a subject for debate, but it _is_
> interesting, more so because these alleged authorities breaking to us
> the newsflash that loseyns are older than modern lasagne bolognese,
> seem unaware that these same loseyns are probably _not_ older than
> Italian lasagne dishes.

*shrug* The claim was apparently first made (in the previous AP story) by
the 'director of the event' to a Daily Telegraph writer.

Publicity stunt, anyone?

They seem to be playing with the Form of Cury's reputation as the oldest
extant cookbook, in order to get some interesting publicity. (I also have
a vague feeling of sensationalism associated wth the title _Daily
Telegraph_ but I'm not British so I don't know whether that is accurate.)

The repetitions of it on SCA Cooks lists appears to be another
recrudescens of 'chance to bash academics'.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Freedome is expensive, dangerous, unpredictable, and sometimes ugly
and offensive. At such a high price, no wonder it is sweet."
-- John N. Barry, _Library Journal_, January 1992