[Sca-cooks] Medieval English lasagne?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Jul 15 18:32:09 PDT 2003

Also sprach Greg Lindahl:
>  > >From AAP - something for the cooks guild to debate?
>
>Not much to debate -- it's more like flat noodles and cheese than
>lasagne, and I've had it at many an SCA event, since the Form of Cury
>has been studied quite a lot since a transcription was published in
>1790... yummy stuff.
>
>-- Gregory

And what is lasagne (to most of the modern world this means lasagne
bolognese or some close variant thereof) made of? I mean, apart from
the tomato ragout? Largely flat pasta and cheese, no? Rather like the
almost identical 14th-century Italian version published in the 19th
century in the Libro di Coquino? I think there's also a recipe for it
in the Neapolitan collection recently edited/published by Scully.

The lasagne itself is the pasta, as are the loseyns, named for their
shape. Similarly, dishes like hare in papdele parallel both old and
modern dishes for stewed game served over papardelle, another wide
noodle almost certainly named for its shape.

I agree, it's not much of a subject for debate, but it _is_
interesting, more so because these alleged authorities breaking to us
the newsflash that loseyns are older than modern lasagne bolognese,
seem unaware that these same loseyns are probably _not_ older than
Italian lasagne dishes.

Adamantius