[Sca-cooks] FW: paprika and spikenard

Wed Jul 16 11:36:02 PDT 2003

While most secondary sources credit the Turks with bringing paprika peppers
to Hungary, the possibility that they came through the Croatian spice
traders can't be ruled out.  The Turkish claim is based mostly on the timing
of the incursions of the 1520's and the presumption that peppers came to the
Ottomans from Spain via the Venetians then were brought into Central Europe
by Ottoman troops.

The Ragusans were active competitors with the Venetians during the 15th and
16th Centuries.  Historically, the area was ruled by Hungary from the 12th
to the 16th Century when it came under Ottoman control.  Dubrovnik proper
was controlled by the Venetians from 1205 to 1358, when it was ceded to
Hungary.  There is a connection to Spain in that some of the spice merchants
were Jewish and took in refugees from the Marrano persecutions in Spain.

There is a new book, that I am looking forward to reading, from the Central
European University Press, The Long Journey of Gracia Mendes, which ties to
all of these subjects during 1510 to 1569.  The author is Marianna D.
Birnbaum, Professor Emeritus from, wonder of wonders, UCLA.

I am interested in reading the thesis and I hope Mr. Perry would be so kind
as to provide a bibliographic citation that can be used to find copies.

As a small point for anyone chasing references to Ragusa, there are two
Ragusas.  One is Dubrovnik, the other is a town in Sicily.

Bear