[Sca-cooks] Totally OT Polymath/Geography question...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jul 16 19:59:24 PDT 2003

Also sprach kattratt:
>Wouldn't that be the Dominican Republic?
>Nichola

Well, apparently, no. Their Tourism Board seems to make it pretty
clear that they're a different entity, and I also suspect Haiti would
have something to say about the land mass they share with Santo
Domingo being named Dominica.

I'm not sure what that island housing Haiti and the Dominican
Republic is called, if it is not still known by Columbus' name of
Hispaniola.

It doesn't matter much; the news story I heard which mentioned this
island had to do with the trial of a man claiming to be a voodoo
priest (charged with bringing hazardous materials onto an airplane,
IIRC), and he is apparently a native of this island, so that got me
wondering.

Adamantius