[Sca-cooks] Walms?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jul 17 12:24:45 PDT 2003

Forgive my getting to this rather late, but I have
had one of those summer colds with coughing, so I've not
been on the list or doing anything much on the computer.

I suspect in fact that the unknowns here are many besides
the obvious one of  what a walm is and matter more with how done or soft
are the pippins to be when they are cooked according to this
method. That brings up all these questions of type of fruit then
versus now, degree of ripeness, variety, amount of fruit,
cooking over a fire versus cooking over gas or electric coil,
type of pot, length of time between cooling and boiling.

I suppose that if you have bushels of pippins you could run test
caes for 6 walms being bring to boiling, cool completely, bring to
boiling, cool, repeat and time everything out. Then one could try
it again with lesser periods of time given to cooling.

 I might try that but
I think I would also check every other recipe I could find and see
what clues they might offer. Nott for instance says boil them well
until "it has boiled till all the Virtue of the pippins has been
 extracted". This is in a jelly of pippins recipe found in his
Cooks Dictionary of 1727.

Johnnae llyn Lewis