[Sca-cooks] Tuna, tuna, tuna

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jul 18 18:52:26 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/18/2003 4:36:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

> OK, so for this Roman feast i'm doing in September, i want to serve
> an Apician recipe for tuna with date sauce. It's in an "appetizer"
> course, so i don't need masses of it. I am thinking of 4 oz per
> person - or is this too much?

With 6 courses and three other meat dishes plus another protein appetizer, I
think I'd go to 2 ounces per person at most.  4 ounces is a quarter of a pound
of tuna!  For a table of 8, you'd be serving two pounds...that seems like an
awful lot, especially for what's going to essentially be a boneless meat.

I have heard that fish are vegetables that swim - and a cook who is renowned
for having almost no leftovers taught me to serve one ounce of vegetables per
person.  It doesn't sound like much, but considering the proportion of people
who don't eat veggies, it works out very well.  Everytime I decide it's not
enough and make more, I end up with tons of leftovers.  There's also a high
proportion of people who won't eat fish, and it's much worse to throw out
something expensive like good tuna than something cheap like veggies...

Brangwayna