[Sca-cooks] Tuna, tuna, tuna

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 18 15:19:30 PDT 2003

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> But if i can't find it for less than $10 per lb, would it be awful to
> serve canned tuna (gosh, i sure don't want to, but...). If i serve
> canned tuna, would red meat or white meat be more suitable (i only
> eat white meat, but if red is more suitable, i'll do it)

I'm a tuna snob, so I shudder at the thought of canned tuna in this dish.
Others may disagree, though.

I'm not sure what area you're in, but you might look for albacore or
yellowtail instead of ahi.  Both can be had around here for $7-9/lb, less at
a fish market or off the docks.

On a related note, what varieties of tuna would be correct in period for the
dish?  I know bluefin and yellowtail have been popular in the Mediterranean
for a long time, but am not sure about others..

-Lorenz