[Sca-cooks] Tuna, tuna, tuna

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 20 09:05:29 PDT 2003

OK, I don't normally do this on this list, but...

One of the several things I do for a living is food sampling. A few
months ago, I did one of my most successful ones ever - a "new" product
from Bumble Bee, called "Prime Fillet Tuna." It was a solid pack
albacore, which was indeed solid and lovely to look at, and which
actually tasted like something! I've, personally, never used the "white"
because I thought I might as well be eating cardboard, but the chunk is
getting less chunky and more mushy every day, and therefore less
appetizing, at least to me. This was a canned product I could actually
envision presenting in a Salade Nicoise without apology for either looks
or taste.

I don't think it's hit every market yet, but nationwide brands never
start products in New York, too big to experiment, so I'm sure it's in
many places, though perhaps the more upscale stores. (My local grocery
doesn't have it...)  And a few other brands seemed to have a similar
product. It is more expensive than the regular, so I'd only use it where
nice big pieces made a difference.

They didn't give us any information about how this was achieved, but,
looking at Adamantius's post... I had already been wondering it it was a
different type of fish, and that now seems even more likely.

Anyhow... this might give several people another option for some dishes...

AEllin

a5foil wrote