[Sca-cooks] Tuna, tuna, tuna

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 20 05:38:43 PDT 2003

Stefan wrote:

> I'm not sure how the canned tuna would differ from the fresh stuff.

I don't think I can describe the difference between fresh and canned, but
you might imagine the difference between some kind of fresh vegetable, green
beans maybe, and canned ones. Fresh is different in both texture and flavor.

> I suspect the fresh tuna, if not the sushi grade, may be one
> of the least expensive fresh fishes.

Fresh tuna is not cheap. Some of the farmed fish are relatively inexpensive
in season, and things that can be frozen -- like cod -- really are cheap if
you get them at a warehouse club.

I don't know if frozen tuna is available but it would be another alternative
to try.

> If you use the canned tuna, I think you should use the type packed in
> less oil (light?), perhaps one packed in water. And then drain/press
> it? to remove the extra moisture/oil.

Yes, this is going to depend on the recipe. Solid-pack albacore has larger
pieces, but tends to be awfully bland. Water-pack has (surprise!) less fat,
but oil-pack can have more flavor. The quality of the fish depends a lot on
the brand as well. That's why I suggested trying several varieties, along
with the fresh, in small test batches.

In _Mediterranean Seafood_ Alan Davidson indicates that both bluefin tuna
and albacore are present in the Mediterranean, though albacore is less
common. Apparently yellow-fin tuna is *not* a Mediterranean fish.

Cynara