[Sca-cooks] Tuna, tuna, tuna

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 19 21:23:42 PDT 2003

Cynara commented:
> Canned tuna doesn't taste the same as fresh cooked, but if the date
> sauce is
> highly flavored it might not matter. I suggest that you try both fresh
> and
> various kinds of canned WAY ahead of time -- invite your friends, and
> see
> which is most popular.
I;m not sure how the canned tuna would differ from the fresh stuff. I'm
not sure I've had fresh tuna. Since the tuna is canned in such
quantity, I suspect the fresh tuna, if not the sushi grade, may be one
of the least expensive fresh fishes.
If you use the canned tuna, I think you should use the type packed in
less oil (light?), perhaps one packed in water. And then drain/press
it? to remove the extra moisture/oil. I think a lot of whether canned
tuna will work as well or not as fresh is likely to depend upon the
exact recipe, which I don't believe was posted. If it is meant to be
served sliced that is different than if it is to be pulverized and
mixed with something.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas