[Sca-cooks] Tuna, tuna, tuna

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 21 06:23:44 PDT 2003

Bear said:

> Sorry, they are in the same family.  Genus Sarda (bonito) and genus
Thunnus
> (tuna) are related.  Bonito are sometimes referred to as tuna.  Mackerel
> refers to open-sea fish of the family Scombridae including albacore,
bonito
> and tuna, especially Scomber scombrus, the Atlantic mackerel.

My mistake -- I should have said they are not the same genus. I was mostly
thinking about flavor and texture differences. Bonito and tuna were
considered distinct in period, but of course if a recipe worked for one fish
it would very likely have been used for any similar fish depending on
availability.

Cynara