[Sca-cooks] Re: Tuna, tuna, tuna

Mon Jul 21 10:38:27 PDT 2003

Bonito and tuna are considered distinct now, but the usage of various
non-scientific names permits generalizations that can be confusing.  One of
the problems in translating manuscripts is determining whether an author is
making a specific reference or is using a degree of generality.
Archestratus's Life of Luxury is a classic example of trying to translate
fish names.

Bear